Dental Veneers which can also be referred to as porcelain veneers, dental porcelain veneers, GlamSmile or laminates, are wafer-thin, custom made shells of a tooth coloured material which we can custom choose to suite your own smile, personality, age and smile.
Veneers are designed to cover the front surface of your teeth and mainly used to improve your appearance, as opposed to strengthen or replace a missing tooth or teeth.
In order to create these shells or veneers, a dentist needs to take impressions of your smile, as all smiles differ, and your veneers are custom made for your mouth and smile.
Veneers are often made in a dental lab and they are fitted separately so there are times you have to go to the lab or have the dentist take a colour match of your teeth to try and match up the porcelain as best as they can.
Veneers are then bonded to the front of the teeth changing their colour, shape, size or length.
Veneers are a great solution for the following situations:
- Where teeth are worn down
- Where teeth are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are not lined up, uneven or irregular shaped – for example, have craters or blue lines in them
- Teeth with gaps between them to close the space between the teeth.
- Teeth have had a root cancel, where the nerve has been removed from the tooth and the tooth has darkened to a navy or black colour, a veneer can correct the colour
- Patients who have had braces but are not happy with the colour of their teeth after they have had the braces off as they have been stained.
- More mature patients who want their colour improved and whitened as it shows youth and dental health.
- Teeth that have stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or other causes will benefit from porcelain veneers
- Patients who have in past had large resin (composite fillings) and now what permanent porcelain flings can benefit from porcelain veneers.
Porcelain Veneers are wafer thin, finger nail like custom made shells that are placed on the front of your teeth. Porcelain Veneers are more stain resistant than composite resin veneers. At SmileOn Perth, we mostly apply GlamSmile Porcelain Veneers, however depending on your teeth, we may recommend a combination of veneers for you.
Porcelain Veneers Perth
There are many dentists who fit porcelain veneers in Perth. Sean Slotar has been fitting porcelain veneers in Perth for the past 20 years, focusing on GlamSmile veneers for the past ten years and has fitted more GlamSmile Porcelain Veneers in Perth than any other dentist, with over 1,200 GlamSmile smiles created fitted since 2008 and has in fact fitted more GlamSmile Veneers than any other dentist in Australia.
What is the procedure for getting dental veneers?
Firstly, most of the time it is pain free, non-invasive and no needles are required.
Getting a dental veneer usually requires three visits to the dentist. The first appointment is a consultation, the second appointment is to take impressions and the third appointment is to fit them.
The advantages of dental veneers are:
- They provide a natural tooth appearance and most people will never know you have placed a veneer over your existing teeth.
- Gums tissue tolerates porcelain well – however we encourage you to see your dentist every 6 months to maintain full dental health.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant but on this note they cannot be whitened either.
- The colour of the porcine veneer can be chosen to make darker teeth look whiter – but there are factors when choosing your veneer colour as it is permanent, and we want you to age well with the colour and make the veneers looks as natural as possible.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth colour and shape. Once again, they do not require a major amount of tooth reshaping prior to the procedure, where crowns do. Yet crowns are often stronger and not as an aesthetic alternative.
- GlamSmile veneers ARE reversible, the removing of the veneers is not paining as very little preparation has been done to your tooth, however we do not advise removing the veneers.
What are the disadvantages of dental veneers?
Veneers are more costly than composite resin bonding, however it does last longer.
Veneers are usually not repairable should they chip or crack, however we can repair them to a point until your new veneer arrives.
Veneers may not exactly match the colour of your other teeth. Also, the veneer colour cannot be altered once in place. Because of this we all often place the veneers on your teeth, before we cement them on, to make sure that you happy with the colour.
If you plan on whitening your teeth, you need to do so before your get your veneers, however you are then matching veneers to whitened teeth, so you need to keep the whitening current and fresh or the veneers will appear whiter than your existing teeth.
Teeth with veneers can still experience decay, possibly replacing a veneer with a crown to cover the whole tooth so that it is strengthened.
Once again, we have to make every effort to match the colour of the crown to the existing veneers and the natural teeth in the rest of the mouth.
On a personal note, I have a bridge on my front teeth, crowns on the next two teeth and veneers are the two teeth after that. They were all done at different times of my life for different reasons and the colours do not match up perfectly, however I have a great smile.
Veneers are not a good choice for individuals with unhealthy teeth (for example, those with decay or active gum disease) and it is for this reason why you need a full dental examination at the first appointment.
You cannot put veneers over weakened teeth (as a result of decay, fracture or large dental fillings). Or for those who have an inadequate amount of existing enamel on their tooth surface.
People who have a particular bite or who grind or clench their teeth are poor candidates for porcelain veneers, as this will cause the veneers to crack or chip.
How long do veneers last?
Veneers last between 7 and 15 years. After this in some cases they could need to be replaced. However, this can often be an advantage as there are always newer and more realistic products on the market and we also find that due to age and the colour of your teeth, the veneers may need to be adjusted.
In addition to this your gum line may have receded due to age so the new impressions will create a more accurate and better fitting veneer.
However, this is not the situation in every case as we have had some patients whose veneers are 20 years old and look as perfect as the day they were fitted.
How to take care of your veneers
Unlike other dental procedures, the recovery process doesn’t take an extended amount of time. Although we do say it takes 3 days to get used to the veneers. But from a recovery process you can go back to work straight away.
We do ask you to let the cement settle and not to floss your teeth for the first few days, however it is important that you brush your teeth twice a day as normal and keep your teeth clean and gums healthy.
In some cases, immediately after the veneers are applied, you may notice that they feel a little rough. These rough spots (normally from the extra cement that can adhere to the veneer) wear down after several days of normal eating and teeth brushing, if they don’t, we are more than happy to smooth them off.
GlamSmile Veneers can last between 10 – 15 years however certain precautions can help make sure that you get the longest lifespan out of them possible, these precautions include:
- Don’t chew on hard objects like pens, ice and fingernails. We always mention these three things, but we suggest you take care of your veneers like you would anything precious.
- Never use your teeth to open packaging or condiment packages
- Try not to chew with your front teeth. For example, if you are going to eat an apple, don’t bite into it, cut it first and then bite into the apple and enjoy it. Eat harder foods with your back teeth only.
- If you grind your teeth at night wear the splint that we will provide you with.
- If you play sports wear a mouth guard that you can order from us as we will have your impressions of your new smile.
Veneers Before & After
The results we can achieve for our patients and the happy faces we help to create is our whole reason for being in business. Take a look at our before and after photos for yourself so you can see what we can achieve in just a couple of short appointments.